Naiad Design* is a small multidisciplinary studio run by Diana Marsh, offering a broad range of design capabilities. A special focus of Naiad Design’s work is spatial and visual communications for projects in the built realm, including transportation, architecture, community, and streetscape projects.
Diana Marsh, AICP
Diana Marsh, Principal of Naiad Design, has a background in urban design and planning as well as environmental engineering. She has a Bachelor’s Degree from Cornell University and a Master’s Degree in City in Regional Planning from UC Berkeley, and has worked at numerous planning and urban design consulting firms, including Calthorpe Associates, EDAW, Parsons Brinckerhoff, The Cecil Group, and Phillips Preiss Shapiro Associates / Phillips Preiss Grygiel Leheny Hughes LLC.
Ms. Marsh brings her broad experience and keen understanding to her graphic design work, distilling complex ideas into compelling, concise graphic solutions. Diana established Naiad Design in Brooklyn, New York in 2003, and moved the studio to Somerville, Mass. 10 years later. From its inception, Naiad Design has offered both urban planning / urban design and graphic design.
Urban design and planning
With extensive experience in urban design and planning, Diana Marsh offers the following capabilities. Read more here.
- Site plans for yield studies, connectivity, and design concepts
- Massing and yield studies
- Photo-renderings, before and after simulations
- Urban design guidelines for sites, buildings, parking, landscaping, and signage
- Development review for conformance with zoning, master plan, and best practices in urban design
- Revisions to zoning codes, including for improved street presence, building transparency, human-scaled massing, and minimizing the appearance of parking
- Planning documents such as master plans, area plans, and vision plans
Graphic and information design for the built environment
Naiad Design’s graphic services include design of:
- logos & identity systems
- marketing materials
- print materials such as reports, books, posters
- thematic maps, charts, diagrams, and other information graphics
- signage, banners, and other interpretive elements
- Websites using WordPress CMS and other platforms
*naiad refers to a water nymph (from classical mythology) said to inhabit a river, spring, or waterfall; and to the aquatic larva or nymph of a dragonfly. It’s also an anagram of ‘diana.’
Working for Phillips Preiss Grygiel, LLC, Ms. Marsh wrote the Epsteins Downtown Area Rehabilitation Plan for the Town of Morristown, New Jersey. The Rehabilitation Plan won four statewide awards: the New Jersey Chapter of the American Planning Association’s Outstanding Smart Growth Plan, the New Jersey Planning Officials Award for Innovative Design, Downtown New Jersey’s Excellence in Downtown Award, and New Jersey Future’s Smart Growth Award for Creative Downtown Redevelopment Strategy.
Ms. Marsh also wrote the standards for site planning and design and building massing and architecture for the Township of Plainsboro, New Jersey’s Redevelopment Plan for the Princeton Health Care System. The Redevelopment Plan has been honored with an Achievement in Planning Award from the New Jersey Planning Officials (NJPO), a non-profit organization that is the largest affiliate of the New Jersey State League of Municipalities.